DISCLAIMER: The following post was written by me as a 2nd year student in CEG. I graduated in 2011 with a B.Tech in IT.
After completing +2 , it wasn’t an easy job trying to select a college…Fluctuating media rankings & ‘brand names’ added to my confusion.. I felt a current student’s review , would be a good way to judge a college…And after studying a couple of years in CEG , here is mine about my college – a comprehensive & unbiased one….
Don’t believe any of the following – they were told by higher authorities when i joined college
- “a number of students get placements with a salary of lakh a month” (utter rubbish – my VC told it was 100 students – lies , lies & lies…. few (i mean few) students do get those but only when the economy is booming)
- “Its tough surviving in CEG” (a myth – the truth is just the opposite…If you can’t survive in CEG , i assure you that you cant survive in any Anna University affiliated engineering college in Tamil Nadu)
- “a unique student-mentor system wherein each student is assigned to a faculty member and 3 students from the same branch -one each from each year” (a fabulous idea that failed to get going)
Let me move on what is actually out there….
Strategic Location gives you an edge for preparing for higher studies
If you want to pursue higher studies CEG’s location (in the heart of Chennai at Guindy ), is the ideal one …There is no dearth for reputed coaching centres for CAT , GRE , GMAT etc in areas close by..However i must disclose that for a radius of 1KM there is nothing – only roads , no shops at all!!! (but that shouldn’t matter given the other merits of the location).
Extra Curricular Activities & Exposure : Advantage CEG
NCC,NSS,YRC along with student-initiated clubs (there a lots of them) which are perennially active set the CEG students apart from others… Innumerable technical and cultural symposiums are organised… The “best part” is the fact that there is NO STAFF INTERVENTION in any of these … freedom , responsibility or whatever you call , it goes a long way in honing various skills of the students … In my opinion the “technical symposiums” are the best part of this college!!!
Apart from what you can usually find in any college , some additional facilities are
* a major part of the campus is Wi-Fi enabled (it is free to use)
* a 25m swimming pool with subsidised rates for students
* Facilities for all sports including tennis courts and a gym
* a superb canteen (good food at incredibly low rates) !!!
College Timings , free hours and holidays
Being a government college Saturdays and all government holidays are off..8 periods (of 50 min duration) from 8.30 – 4.30 ..Don’t get discouraged by the timings ..U will have 7-12 free periods per week (officialy free!!) in addition to cancelling of classes which happens quite often(my estimate avg 1.5 per day)..Total sem hols (odd sem + even sem) : 2-3 months
Academic Pressures , Exams & Faculty
Like most of the premier institutes , CEG gives you the freedom to “not study”… No one will force you to study … You learn to be self dependant & learn on your own interests… Academic Projects give you a scope to learn beyond what you read in books … Faculty – both the best and the worst in the industry are here.. The worst will continue to remain here till their retirement , CEG being a government college…Overall, the faculty is not bad … Academic pressures are low , with a bit of hard work you can sail through your exams … 50% weightage for internal marks – so you have to take your internals seriously(i mean u’ve got to study the day before your exam..nothing more..)
Placements & my Ranking
Placements are good … Definitely not on par with the IITs but slightly better than PSG Tech …That should give you the picture…
Leaving out the IITs and few NITs i would rate it among the top colleges in our country..
I have disabled comments. If you need more information or have questions, feel free to drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S: I do not know anything about M.Tech/M.E/M.B.A courses at CEG except that these students are not eligible for hostel😦